Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Stencil Class Day 1 Card

 
I was so thrilled with the class.  They had 3 different excellent instructors and 4 videos.  They give you a supply list, but I tried to use what I had. since I've been stamping 14 years.  I learned about inking and masking with stencils and using inks and sprays with them.  Above is my first card that I inked with a stencil on the card front.  I did not use their masking technique on the envy, but it is masked and I can explain how I did that below.  Here is what I did.  The background sample is one I saw on Pam Sparks' blog HERE, while looking at their great pre-course gallery.  She even had a tutorial for it HERE......and yes, I ended up ordering the flower die she used too.

IMAGES:
  1. Stamped image on vellum with Golden Glitz; painted with Twinkling H20 watercolors, highlighted with a Spica At You glitter pen; mounted the waxed white string bow.  set aside.
  2. Envy - Stamped smaller image on vellum twice.  Once for mask on envy and once for inside to mount on the left like I did the card front. When I did mask I used Tombow removable tape between the mask and image. To remove it you just rub it off.  Very easy.
CARD FRONT and INSIDE LEFT:
  1. Card front - Used Bazzill Dotted Swiss for card base.
  2. Daubed (sponged) Burlap stencil with Golden Glitz, Peeled Paint, and Worn Lipstick randomly.
  3. Die cut BG using Lil' Inkers Stitched Rectangles Mat; mounted; mounted image.
  4. Die cut 'hello' using Bazzill Dotted Swiss CS; mounted as shown; added hearts to corners.
  5. Inside - Stenciled Burlap down the center of the left side to match the card front; laid a piece of Bazzill CS on the left margin; painted the vellum stamped smaller image like the one on the envy and mounted in the center.
  6. I always use cheaper cardstock of the same weight and same brightness for my card folds.
ENVY:
  1.  Stamped small image on envy as shown, place stamped mask over it.  Stenciled with same colors as card front; peeled mask off and painted image with twinks and SAY glitter pen.
I would never have tried this without the lesson and, BTW, you also get a pdf with the lessons that were taught in the video.  Very cool.  When I am done with this class I want to take the watercolor class.  Big thanks to all of you who went before me so I could see your gorgeous cards that inspired me!!!  If you don't see supplies in my list below or you click and it comes back to my blog, it means I couldn't find where to buy it or already had it and didn't know the brand, etc.

Off to look at Day Two!  Thanks for stopping by to look and share!


 Shirley

SUPPLIES:

35 comments:

Bonnie said...

Shirley, this is gorgeous! Love those roses and your stenciled background and envelope are perfect!

Patti J said...

Beautifully done, Shirley! Thanks for the awesome instructions too...you rock!

Katherine said...

OH, I think I could use this class, my stencil technique attempts are.. rough! Thanks for your advice/instructions, too! and thx always for stopping by my blog! Hugs!

jimlynn said...

Fantastic use of that stencil!! Love those pretty roses too. Enjoy the class!
Lynn

Shona said...

Shirley, this is just lovely! Thanks for the links, I enjoyed seeing the tutorial,except now I want that die too! I'm glad you are enjoying the class, I took that one also. I am also enjoying the watercolour one a lot! Did I mention I love the envelope? I adore what you do with envelopes, and this one is fabulous!
Thanks for all your sweet comments, but I hope you don't feel that you have to reciprocate on all my posts, it wouldn't keep me from visiting you!

Shelly Schmidt said...

Looks like a fab class! LOVE this beautiful card, and love the matching envelope! I am seeing the WC cards all over the internet- I am resisting the class- but will look forward to your cards when you do take it!

Beth Norman said...

Your class sounds interesting. I signed up for a stencil class in Jan and have all the PDF's. Just have to go through them now--LOL. Your background is so darling. Lovely card.

Beebeebabs said...

Absolutely beautiful - love the soft colors tfs!!!

craftieodmae said...

absolutley breathtaking!!!

Benzi said...

Shirley, this is gorgeous....the card and the envelope. I love stencils and yours is wonderful...beautiful roses, too.

Barbara said...

Beautiful card Shirley. I really love it!!!

Crafting Queen said...

Such a beautiful card, love the background.

Anne Temple said...

Wow, this is gorgeous! Love the soft colors. Which stencil class are you taking?

Sue Lelli said...

Looks GREAT, Shirley! Pretty stencilling, flower, and sentiment!

Cara said...

Gorgeous Shirley ... I've been pulling out some old stencils I have from a while back and playing with them too. Such a great technique!

Helena (Gvendalen) said...

Lovely card, Shirley! Thanks for sharing of your tutorial.
hugs, Helena

Barbara Bruder said...

This card is really spectacular!! This really is speaking to me, LOL I also like that envie as well. What a great combo!!

Donna Maligno said...

LOOOOVE this, Shirley! I have tons of stencils, but time is my enemy. Will put it on my bucket list to do. Great job.

Marie-Louise said...

Gorgeous card Shirley.

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Beautiful card Shirley, I like how you've used a stencil with your style. It looks great on part of the envelope. Have a great weekend, Shirleyx

Sarn said...

Hi Shirley - I see you've been getting inky too! Lovely card here.

Thank you so much for browsing my blog and leaving me lots of lovely comments. All much appreciated.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Carol Hurlock said...

This is just beautiful. I am loving the masks and inks. You did a wonderful job.
Bear Hugs,
Carol

Carol Hurlock said...

This is just beautiful. I am loving the masks and inks. You did a wonderful job.
Bear Hugs,
Carol

Donna Ellis said...

Hi, Shirley! Your background is REALLY gorgeous! (I had previously seen Pam's card, and it's such a great technique). I especially like the size of your background, and how you carried it over into the envy, making it good for postal regs, but pretty for the recipient. A lovely card - thank you for sharing about your class! hugs, de

Pat (mspfd) said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Shirley. Love the beautiful background you created for the stunning flowers.

Greta said...

Absolutely beautiful, Shirley! Love the envelope, too!

Craftyfield said...

Glad you are enjoying your class and get to play with stencils. Let's face it they make backgrounds easy and are so addictive! And this first card is gorgeous. I'll be watching this space...

Mary said...

Shirley, very pretty card. I'm just learning to use the stencils. I must admit, I am liking them. Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

Darnell said...

Excellent job on the homework for your stencil class, Shirley!! Wow! I can highly recommend the watercolor class! Hugs, Darnell

Karen said...

This is so beautiful! I love the way you've added so much texture and interest, but still create a light and airy feel to the card. So fresh and springy!

stampqueen said...

Beautiful card!!! Love the roses stamped with gold and colored with twinks - I really need to do that!!!

Pam Sparks said...

Hi Shirley! so fun to read your post and see your beautiful card! Love your stencil work and the beautiful image you colored. Thanks for sharing my blog link too. I'm honored and appreciate it! Have a great week creating!

Greta said...

Wishing I had that hello die--may have to get it now! This is gorgeous--love the background, Shirley!

Lee-Anne said...

Oooh...someone's having fun and doing an amazing job:} Love your color choices...so pretty, Shirley!

Donna B. said...

Awesome use of the stencil! Love the envie!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...